March 29, 2010

A Real Princess

I took a much needed girly field trip over the weekend to the Princess Diana exhibit. I can't believe it's been almost 13 years since she passed away. It doesn't seem that long ago.

I was surprised by a few things I learned on that trip. For example, I didn't know that Prince Charles' proposal was so, well, boring. I figured she'd have a grand story to tell. I mean, she's a princess for goodness sake! Shamefully, I must admit that I've spent 8 years wishing that Joey and I had some elaborate engagement story to tell instead of our true story (Joey simply asked me to marry him, I said yes, and we went to the jewelry store to pick out a ring). I've always been jealous of the girls who received surprise proposals... on top of the empire state building... video recorded for future generations to witness... with the man proclaiming his undying love to the entire world... Now I just feel stupid (and way out of touch with reality).

Furthermore, did you know that her gorgeous wedding gown and all of the bridesmaid's dresses combined only cost $1,900? REALLY? Yeah, yeah, I know that was in the 80s, but come on, still, even with inflation, that's nothing compared to what I thought the cost would have been.

Reality really slapped me in the face at the end of the exhibit. There was a huge, I'm talking like 20 feet or so wide, bookshelf containing hundreds of books of condolences written just for the princess. It left me wondering, if I died today, would anyone have any reason to even write one of those books for me? What have I done to deserve the title, "Princess," as Joey often lovingly calls me?

No comments: